Nevada CNA and HHA Certification Requirements State of Nevada (NV)

by admin on July 3, 2019

Requirements for CNA and HHA Certification

HHAs and CNAs are all merged into one appellation in Nevada; the state is CNA-oriented, HHAs being entry-level aides who work as companions and homemakers in private homes or are recruited by non-medical home care agencies for work as companions in private homes.

The state adopts the federal regulations for training, i.e. 75 hours of accredited training in all, of which 16 hours of practical or skills work. Certificates are renewed every two years for aides who accumulated 24 hours of continuing education for the 2 year period (this is the federally mandated 12 hours for every 12-month period in between renewals).

Note: Fed regulations require certified aides who work in Medicare or Medicaid-reimbursed facilities to accumulate 12 hours of continuing education per 12 month period.

We list the higher between Federal (Fed) and State requirements

Requirements CNA HHA
Work Eligibility Fed requirements: must be a citizen or someone eligible to work in the U.S.;  must produce a valid social security number. same
Type of Certification The Department of Health issues certificates; you also get listed on the CNA Registry, and employers verify your qualifications online. N/A
Application Form A copy of the application form can be obtained from the link below. A filled application form is required together with a money order for the corresponding amount (see “other requirements” below). N/A
Age There is no minimum age requirement. same
Driver’s License No driver’s license required as long as you can produce a photo ID. Employer requirements apply.
Education Level No high school diploma required. same
Training hours & where 75 hours of accredited training, including practical work. Be advised that training programs and number of hours differ from one school to the other. N/A
Competence Training Same note as above, but no less than 16 hours of practical, hands-on training. N/A
Experience No prior professional experience required. A non-medical home care agency may hire you for a companion or homemaker assignment if you have one year of professional experience.
Health Immunizations A negative TB test taken within 6 months and proof of immunization. Employer requirements apply.
Fingerprints 2 Fingerprints cards will be required for background checks. same
Background checks State and Fed checks will be conducted. same
Other Requirements You will need to produce copies of social security card, work eligibility form, training diploma, TB test results, background checks, and money order. N/A
Licensed in another state? Based on a current and “in good standing” out-of-state license, you may petition the Nevada Board of Nursing for possible reciprocity. N/A
Exam It is referred to as the Certified Nursing Assistant Exam and given by the Department of Health in two parts, written, and practical. N/A


Previous post:

Next post: